Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

What kind of writer are you?

I love Google Reader. Love, love, love that the blogs I enjoy reading are delivered to my feed reader whenever a new post is published. I love that I don't have to go searching for them and waste a whole bunch of time reading something that I'm not particularly interested in at that moment. My kids appreciate it as well because without it, the likelihood of me sitting in front of the computer still dressed in my pajamas when they come home from school would be very high. I'll admit though, sometimes it happens anyway.

One thing I see pop up quite often on writer blogs are entries about how they prepare to write. Some construct outlines of their planned manuscript. Some write pages and pages of detailed notes while some even make color coded note cards.

Me?

I won't even pretend to be that organized. While I do make some notes about the plot, the setting and MC characteristics to give me something to work with, I mostly fly by the seat of my pants.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's what works for me.

I know we are taught to organize our thoughts beforehand, but I'm afraid if I tried to work that way, it would come across contrived and unnatural. I'd rather rip open a bag of Twizzlers, crank up some Bad Company or Mother's Finest and let her fly.

So tell me, what kind of writer are you?

2 comments:

  1. I am just like you. I actually can get into a slump if I do try to organize myself so I just do what works best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, I'm completely with you on this one! I might do a few rough notes but then I just start to type and see what happens. I find I'm not restricted in any way like this. My characters tend to go where they want to go and that's exactly how I like it!
    I too love Google reader, by the way! I follow hundreds of blogs though!!

    ReplyDelete